October is usually the month where the front runners in the Premier League emerge and the table starts to take shape. Read on as I summarise a month which has been full of controversy and packed with stunning goals.
What we can see from the table
- Southampton have continued their surprising start to the season, winning seven points from three games and moving up to fifth.
- Arsenal led the table at the end of the month, still by two points.
- Sunderland gained their first win of the season against city rivals Newcastle but remain in the bottom two.
- Crystal Palace gained no points last month and sit bottom of the table.
- Manchester United improved on a poor start to the season and jumped from 12th to eighth
Player of the Month
Luis Suarez – Liverpool
The Uruguayan returned from his ban in stunning style at the end of September and then bagged four more goals last month to take his tally to six goals from five games this season. He has connected with Daniel Sturridge brilliantly and even bagged a hat trick in the Reds’ 4-1 thrashing of West Brom. The controversial striker has returned with a bang.
2nd – Aaron Ramsey (Arsenal)
3rd – Loic Remy (Newcastle United)
Manager of the month
Mauricio Pochettino – Southampton
There were a lot of questions asked over the appointment of Mauricio Pochettino at Southampton towards the end of last season, but the Spaniard has proved his doubters wrong, guiding the Saints to a great start to the season which continued in October. Victories over Swansea and Fulham aswell as a 1-1 draw at Old Trafford, gave the South Coast club seven points from a possible nine and moved them up to fifth by the end of the month.
2nd – Arsene Wenger (Arsenal)
3rd – David Moyes (Manchester United)
Goal of the Month
Patajim Kasami vs Crystal Palace
In a possible goal of the season contender, Sascha Riether’s floated pass down the channel was taken on the chest by Kasami on the right-hand edge of the penalty area and, in one fluid movement, he unleashed a stunning dipping volley on the angle up and over Palace goalkeeper Julian Speroni into the top-left corner.
Last month might just have been the best ever for fantastic goals, and this was so hard I hard to pit this to a vote on Facebook but even then I couldn’t decide.
2nd – Jack Wilshere vs Norwich
3rd – Daniel Sturridge vs West Brom
Others worth mentioning
- Ravel Morrison vs Tottenham
- Yohan Cabaye vs Liverpool
- Steve Sidwell vs Crystal Palace
- Fabio Borini vs Newcastle
- Luis Suarez (2nd) vs West Brom
- Marko Arnautovic vs Manchester United
Game of the month
Manchester United 3-2 Stoke City
Peter Crouch’s fourth minute header at Old Trafford, looked set to start a shock in the North East but Robin van Persie’s equaliser just before half-time restored normality into game. However Stoke were back in front just minutes later with a stunning Marko Arnautovic free-kick. Only late United goals from Wayne Rooney and Javier Hernandez rescued what would have been an embarrassing loss for the champions. Read the full match report here.
2nd – Arsenal 4-1 Norwich
Read the match report here
3rd – Crystal Palace 1-4 Fulham
Read the match report here
Games to look out for in November
November kicked off with a bang last week with the South Wales derby and Arsenal vs Liverpool. Here are the most exciting looking games from the rest of the month…
- Manchester United vs Arsenal (10/11)
- Everton vs Liverpool (23/11)
- Manchester City vs Tottenham (24/11)
- West Brom vs Aston Villa (25/11)